|Greg Weisman's Rain of the Ghosts could soon be available as an AudioPlay. Credit: Greg Weisman via Facebook.|
Issue 18 of +The Full Bleed focuses on a non-comics project I find worthy because it comes from a generous creator: Greg Weisman.
If you don't know him, Weisman has a long history of helping shepherd animated properties. From Spectacular Spider-Man to Star Wars Rebels to Gargoyles to a personal favorite of mine, Young Justice, he's had a long and successful career in the medium -- and now he's expanding to audio by turning his book series, Rain of the Ghosts, into an AudioPlay. Weisman has raised $18,542 of his $43,000 goal as of this writing. (Click here to learn more about the Kickstarter project or to offer support.)
I'm rooting for a win here because I know from my interviews with Weisman at last year's Denver Comic Con that he cares deeply for what he's created in Rain of the Ghosts, which tells the story of a young girl who gets wrapped up in a mystery while learning that she can communicate with actual ghosts. I'm of the mind that you're more likely to get a better story from a creator who's personally invested in the material. (Just as you're more likely to get a better return investing in the stock of a business run by a founder CEO with even more to lose than the outside shareholders.)
Even so, when you consider the following stats, it won't be surprising if Weisman comes up short of his target:
- Only 38.5% of Kickstarter projects have been successfully funded.
- Of those, only 11.9% have sought and successfully secured between $20,000 and $99,999.
- Weisman is uncommonly generous. Not only he did give me an interview at DCC -- he gave me THREE interviews, accommodating my ridiculous schedule at every turn. Goodwill counts for a lot when it comes to choosing which projects to back. (Interlude: For various reasons that were beyond my control, I wasn't able to use the material he gave me in those interviews. I may seek to re-purpose here so stay tuned for that.)
- Rain of the Ghosts needs a push, not a shove. Recordings are done and voice talent is paid for. The fact that Weisman has already done so much -- in concert with so many -- speaks well for the project itself.
- Backers don't have to search for answers. If anything, the opposite is true: Weisman is incredibly active on social media, and he's proven willing to answer questions from anyone who has them.
Or, subscribe to The Full Bleed and never miss an issue. You'll also get subscriber-only exclusives, including full access to the forthcoming DC Movie Report spreadsheet and others like it. Click here to get started now.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin